Google Lead Structural Engineer, Virtual Reality in Mountain View, California
As a member of a fast-paced multi-disciplinary team, you use your creativity and diverse range of engineering experience to explore solutions to a variety of engineering problems. As a mechanical engineer, you participate in the design, analysis, and prototyping of new concepts. You work in a manufacturing and product oriented development environment and collaborate with vendors and outside sources in order to see parts through to manufacture.
You will be involved in developing products with specific intent to launch in the market. Our goal is to take products from concept to production and into millions of consumer’s hands, delivering amazing user experiences in a holistic way (software and hardware seamlessly integrated). We are passionate about the design process, practice continual conceptual development and obsess over refining the smallest of details with precision. We believe that great isn't good enough and you should too.
The Google Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality team is a fast moving group of engineers, designers, and research scientists tasked with building the foundations for great immersive and augmented reality apps and prototyping novel, delightful user experiences. We are focused on making virtual reality accessible to millions of people through mobile devices, and its scope continues to grow and evolve.
- Own and drive analysis of cutting edge designs, enabling early optimization prior to prototyping as well as root cause and failure analysis of difficult mechanical problems.
- Generate FEM/analytical models of mechanical parts, modules, and assemblies; Use Static, dynamic, structural and thermal-mechanical analysis and create and develop statistical based methods to predict field failure models.
- Own and drive material characterization and testing to support modeling efforts.
- Brainstorm and propose solutions to problems based on analysis data.
- Generate applicable engineering specifications and create applicable processes to assure consistent early analysis and design validation of critical issues.
- Master’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of industry experience with structural simulation software
- Experience with manufacturing processes such as injection molding, sheet metal forming and die casting, Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA).
- Experience setting up both material lab and development process of tools.
- PhD degree
- 15 years of experience in consumer electronics and structural simulation software.
- Experience using statistical analysis to solve engineering and manufacturing issues
- Experience in geometric tolerances and statistical tolerance analysis techniques
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.