Macy's Culinary Food Demonstrator, Part Time: Valley Fair, CA in Santa Clara, California
The Culinary Food Demonstrator's role is to drive traffic and sales through customer interaction and by creating an atmosphere that will generate visual and sensory excitement. To educate our customers through demonstrations and the sampling of candy, gourmet foods and wine (where appropriate). Perform other duties as assigned. Macy’s uses a scheduling plan that allows our associates to participate in the creation of their work schedules by managing availability and identifying preferences. Additionally, during key events and peak selling times, Macy’s may offer additional shifts to our associates, which they may pick up using the self-scheduling tool. Details on Macy's schedule options are available during the interview process.
- Follows Food Division Standards and Best Practices
- Demonstrate MAGIC selling skills
- Demonstrate products and provide product information to guide customers in their buying decisions
- Greet customers and encourage them to sample products while enthusiastically educating and selling
- Set up inviting demo cart displays, including recipes and food products, according to Food Division and Visual Presentation standards including consideration of gourmet foods, confections, and Marketplace and restaurant recipes
- Conduct gourmet foods and candy product knowledge seminars for Foods associates. Assist Special Events, i.e. shopping and prepping for guest chefs, cookbook authors, and celebrities
- Produce and/or assist in preparation of demo samples
- Maintains PAR stock levels and standards in product presentations
- Be aware of and create opportunities for add-on sales
- Maintain personal hygiene and professional dress code to comply with Food Division and Health Department standards
- Execute daily closing checklist/recap and vendor demonstration confirmation (when applicable)
- Maintain kiosk to visual standard is applicable
- Meet highest standards of workplace sanitation/equipment care and safety as set by Health Department and company policy
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality
- Education/Experience: No specific educational accomplishment is necessary. At least one year of restaurant/hospitality experience is required. Health department license or certification and/or alcohol certification as required by state or local requirement. Per state law, a Food Handler's certificate may be required for all food service employees who prepare, store or serve food at restaurants, coffee bars or any other food service establishment.
- Communication Skills: Ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents such as safety rules, reports, procedure manuals, and recipes. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate in Spanish is preferred but not required.
- Mathematical Skills: Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Able to use a calculator. Must be able to use mathematics when measuring quantities.
- Reasoning Ability: Must be able to follow instructions and recipes. Must be able to anticipate and solve problems. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Physical Demands: Extended periods of standing in areas of high heat are required. This position involves regular walking, standing, hearing and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Must be able to move and/or lift at least 30 lbs. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment. Must be able to move and/or lift at least 30 lbs. Must be able to work in close quarters.
- Other skills: Must be able to operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently. Must be able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment. Strong leadership profile and must possess excellent customer service skills. Must meet any state and or local age requirements for serving alcoholic beverages.
- Work Hours: Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
Working Conditions: This position is exposed to sharp objects such as knives and scissors. This position is also exposed to high levels of heat within an enclosed space. This position is required to use potentially hazardous equipment, such as grills and ovens. Reasonable accommodations have been made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. Work generally occurs in an office environment with moderate temperature and noise level.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.*This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.*
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Clara
Job: Restaurant/Food Service - Back of House
Req ID: 71392029